Monday, March 29, 2010

This afternoon, I started the evaporator at 2:00PM. Rick joined me later. By 5:00PM we had run through the 45 gallons of sap that we had collected yesterday, and we were ready for today's collection of 135 gallons, which we will evaporate tomorrow. I will probably be working alone much of tomorrow. It is Rick's 64th birthday, and the family is planning a noon meal together to celebrate.

Last night the temperature dipped to the mid-20's, which accounts for today's flow. Today's high temperature was near 50 degrees. Tonight we are not expecting freezing temperatures. It is hard to estimate what the flow will be tomorrow. If I can recall past experiences correctly, I think one night of sufficiently cold temperatures can produce a sap flow for some 36 hours. That means tomorrow may hold promise of a good volume of sap to be collected at the end of the day. I'm hoping.

A forecast of warm temperatures (daytime highs near 60 and overnight lows around 40) with the added possibility of rain by the weekend may mean the end of the syrup season. Thus far, the sap quality has remained very good considering the conditions--weatherwise--that we are working under. The weather may not be a sap producer, but it makes for very enjoyable conditions to work outside in shirt sleeves with April 1st two days away. Will March go out like the proverbial lion or will twin lambs cover both ends of March 2010? I will keep you updated.

I have tried to find current information on the 2010 Wisconsin syrup season. Folks must not be posting current information; I only found one article from a Wausau newspaper early in March. I am curious what the production is like elsewhere in the State.

No comments:

Post a Comment