Thursday, March 31, 2011

By 9:00AM this morning, I had a fire in the evaporator and started work on the 100 or more gallons of sap remaining from yesterday. I finished that portion of the process by 3:00PM. Rick and I then finished and bottled 11 1/4 gallons of syrup. That is our production to date for the 2011 season. We started with almost 500 gallons of sap to produce that amount of syrup. The syrup looks very good in the jar--a rich red amber color and very clean, that is, without visible suspended sediment.

With help from two adult kids and one small grandson, we collected 200 gallons of sap from today's flow. Ah yes! There is work to be done tomorrow. But I will be back at my day job tomorrow morning.

We decided to call it a day at 6:30PM. Time to clean up, make myself supper, and do a load of laundry of syrup making clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment