Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I suppose that with the longest periods of daylight and the shortest periods of darkness with the summer solstice just past, we can expect that typically nocturnal visitors will now be up and about during daylight hours. It is a little disconcerting when those visitors are black bears. Saturday evening at 9:30, such a visitor tore down the thistle feeder. I decided to remove the hummingbird feeder as well, when I tackled the clean-up. The goldfinches and hummingbirds will have to go elsewhere--go natural.

Last evening at 6:30, another bear strolled through the yard apparently on a search for supper. I know it was a different bear, because
Saturday's visitor was sporting a red tag in each ear. Yesterday's visitor has not yet been fitted with such jewelry.

I received an email from a neighbor, which reported on a bear's visit to and destruction of the service or juneberry tree on the corner of his lot. This took place a couple of nights ago. The tree was planted a few years ago as part of the city's urban forestry/beautification project. It now appears that the planning will now need to take into account not only road salt, snowplowing, overhead utility wires, but also the risk of bear predation.

My April 26th posting reported on an earlier daytime bear visit. I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security since two  months had passed without a daytime bear sighting. From now on, I will try to remember the camera so as to record the visuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment