Thursday, February 28, 2013


Who gets to be called “Doctor” anyway?

I am curious why Jill Biden is frequently referred to as Dr. Biden in the media. I know that she had a doctoral degree in education (Ed.D.) so it is clearly proper for her to be so addressed. Michelle Obama also has a doctoral degree (J.D.). Why is she not referred to as Dr. Obama in those instances when she is not referred to as the First Lady of the United States?

The local and now retired school superintendent has for years had the personalized license plate of DOC DON. Is there something about educational professionals with doctoral degrees touting their terminal degrees?

Then there is NPR’s Doctor Science--“I’m not a real doctor; I have a master’s degree in science.” What about Kermit The Frog? He at least deserves an honorary doctoral degree. I really like the title: Dr. K. T. Frog. I would suggest that Dr. Frog’s degree be in Humane Letters, which is exclusively an honorary degree. That way I don’t offend any more folks with this posting, except for all those folks who have been awarded honorary degrees in Humane Letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment