Monday, April 7, 2014

There are any number of issues which could be the topic of a post. I haven't been able to organize the chatter that has been tumbling in my internal revolving drum. The bits and pieces include:

A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Unknown Known
Flash Boys
Ukraine
Syria
Ebola
MA370
Afghan elections
NCAA Men's and Women's Tournaments
Minimum wage legislation
McCutcheon vs. FEC
Baseball's opening games
Drone warfare
Senate Intelligence Committee Report on CIA Interrogations
NSA Surveillance
Vermont's single payer health care program

Yesterday afternoon I decided to make a batch of oatmeal raisins cookies rather than sort through this clutter and put together a post. Here's how that turned out. I misconfigured the recipe and made an error in reconfiguring sticks of shortening (roughly half butter and half margarine) into cups. Rather than 1/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons, I started with 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons. That is the difference between 1 and 2 sticks plus the tablespoons. Come to think of it, I am not sure why the recipe is so particular. Wouldn't 1/2 cup work as well as 1/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons? That is only the difference of 2 tablespoons. We aren't making a piano (as a former boss would say) or mixing rocket fuel. The end result is a batch of soft cookies which browned up real nicely. They also balanced out well with the way-to-healthy wholewheat muffins that I made on Saturday morning.

Let's see. Chop suey is on the menu for supper. I best clear my mind so that I don't end up serving pork vegetable soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment