Thursday, November 3, 2011


The clothes dryer is back together and running quietly.
For the past couple of years, it did its thing with an irritating squeak.
Since it was relegated to the basement from the very beginning, I guess I thought it was tolerable. Carol brought the irritant to my attention a number of times and tried various techniques to quiet the squeak, such as changing its
orientation by placing a thin board under its front feet. Finding myself in charge of the laundry
chores since June 1st may have moved me to do something about the
squeak. Or. Carol has resumed responsibility for the laundry as of last week,
so my motivation may have been to provide her with a more pleasant environment.
One should not dwell on either one’s own or someone else’s motivation for any
length of time; it will only end in cognitive dissonance and intellectual chaos.

Thanks again to RepairClinic.com, I was able to successfully tackle a household repair
project. It’s a great site. Search using a model number and the exact parts come up along with a video showing the breakdown
and replacement process. I replaced the idler or tension pulley and the belt. I
figured I could salvage the drum rollers by cleaning and lubricating the
shafts. As I was breaking the dryer down the door switch fell apart. I suspect that over the course of 24 years
and 2 months of the spring loaded door banging shut, the plastic housing of the
switch was compromised so that it simply fell apart when I removed the mounting
screws. Curiously, the replacement switch is of a different design. The website
noted that the part replaces Manufacturer’s Number 388322. It was reassuring to be holding in my hand
the housing of the broken switch with the number 388322 clearly visible.

The dryer has been down since the weekend, when I did the teardown, the diagnosis, and ordered the
parts. They came in today’s mail, and the dryer was operational, before I ate my dessert. It isn’t that repair and maintenance are a standard second supper course. I just
figured apple crisp and tea would taste better once the after-hour’s chore was
complete. Carol will be able to tackle the week’s
laundry tomorrow. I did ask if she wanted me to start on that task this evening.
She told me that I didn’t have to. I took that as a clear no.

I trust that investing $66.00 in parts in the old dryer will prove to be money well spent. I’m
thinking if someone replaced my tension pulley and switch, I just might be good
for a couple more rounds. Something about tightening the belt and powering up.


No comments:

Post a Comment