Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Today made for a third day of wood making in weather with increased clouds and lower temperatures. At this time of the year, five or so degrees of change in the daytime high and full clouds which the sun could never break through makes for a very different work environment. I count the day as a day even though it involves some five hours including a break for lunch.
With no wood at the pile to split and stack, I used the chainsaw to buck up several trees that Rick had dropped earlier. In addition there was brush or tops to pile. I split whatever I cut to length and stacked it in the woods. I decided that the location was inaccessible for my pick-up. Rick has offered to use his tractor with a loader to get the wood to the woodpile.
I appreciate Rick taking the time to cut several trees down and leaving them lay for me to take the next step. It's not my property so I fret over the selection of which trees to cull and which to leave. The choices are based on aesthetics--a very individualized vision of what a sugarbush should look like--and forest management--promoting the health of the wood lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment