Saturday, May 26, 2012


Aged dandelion wine and fresh mozzarella cheese! How do those fit together?

Earlier this spring as a neighbor and I sat at the table drinking tea and taking note of this year’s first dandelion bloom, the discussion turned to the topic of dandelion wine. My neighbor apparently had a passing acquaintance with dandelion wine in years past, but never had the opportunity to imbibe. Always one to want to help out a friend, I noted that my Mom had, at times, a representative sample of dandelion wine in her cellar tucked in someplace near the pickled beets. I figured there might well be some left knowing how guardedly such wine would be dispensed on the occasion of a special holiday dinner. I came up with the idea that I would ask my Mom for a sample, so that I could offer my neighbor a taste; he could then delete one more thing from his bucket list.

Mom came through and readily supplied me with a tasting carafe of dandelion wine—a 12 ounce jelly jar full to the shoulder and appropriately labeled with masking tape.

Last evening was the special event. The neighbor and his wife joined my wife and me for the First Annual Memorial Day Weekend Wine ‘n’ Cheese Celebration.

Earlier in the week, as I pulled together plans for the Friday evening portion of this weekend’s extravaganza, I struggled with a menu. I needed something to accompany, to augment, to contribute to the ambiance of the event. I settled on a cheese, fruit, and cracker plate. The struggle continued as to the selection of cheese. With the choices available at a local grocery store, I settled on soft mozzarella. I had one prior experience with fresh mozzarella several years ago in the Twin Cities at a combined Father’s Day and Wife/Mother’s birthday celebration. (I think my memory serves me right on that.) Fresh mozzarella was served as an appetizer with fresh tomato wedges, olive oil, and crusty bread. There were fond memories of that event, so I gambled on being able to bring some fondness to this event. Soft mozzarella might just be the proper vehicle.

Fresh mozzarella proved to be an excellent choice to accompany dandelion wine, whole wheat snack crackers, and fruit. The latter was an apple preserve that I found (read: impulse purchase) at the local Pamida, which is in the process of changing over to a downsized Shopko, so all of their current merchandise is discounted.

This morning I am still heady with the success with which I pulled off last evening’s inaugural event of the 2012 summer season’s first holiday weekend. I am sure it will only build as the day proceeds. This morning’s event is a breakfast of oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar. Following that, the remainder of the weekend is unscripted.

By the way, there was no wine left when we called it an evening. Do you think Mom will think we were indiscreet in that we drank it all in one sitting?

No comments:

Post a Comment