Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sometimes, one just needs a layover day. Canoe campers will be familiar with the layover day. It is a non-travel day in the trip plan. It is a day that serves any number of purposes--a rest and relaxation day to recover from the rigors the preceding days of paddle and portage--a chance to string a line and dry out sleeping bags and tents packed either in the rain or simply endowed with several nights' heavy dew--fishing, swimming, or both--a more leisurely pace in making supper and performing other camp chores--repairing a piece of equipment--an afternoon nap--reading--catching up on one's trip log-- and yes, enjoying more than one day's allotment of trail mix. It may even become a travel day, if the crew is behind schedule and needs to make up time and distance. The layover day may be determined by the weather and taken when high winds prevent venturing forth. The crew may decide to travel in light rain on a scheduled layover day, thereby saving the layover day for when there is a break in the weather.

Today is my layover day. I spent the past two days making firewood for the 2014 maple syrup season. They were two long days. Monday I quit at 6:00PM; yesterday I quit at 5:00PM. Rather than push on, I decided that a layover day was called for. This morning I got the oil changed in the pick-up and made a periodically compulsory trip to Walmart for somethings which I simply can't live without. Since then the lawn has been mowed and the chainsaw sharpened. It is too bad there is not a Brewers' game this afternoon. I could have caught the end of it while napping in the recliner.

I have a daylong commitment tomorrow. I will be back making firewood on Friday and Saturday, weather permitting. The weather may have me considering another layover day this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment