Thursday, July 20, 2017

I have not used this blog to comment on the national or state political scene since last fall. This action or lack of action has been the result of an explicit decision to avoid the topic. I haven't changed my mind with this post, but I will comment on not commenting on that very topic.

So many of the events of the past eight months defy traditional political analysis. Journalists have been forced to alter their practice in order to maintain some semblance of relevancy and legitimacy. Comedians and humorists are having more than enough material for their extended daily monologues and weekly columns. It is as if we are faced with a choice of crying or laughing and we choose the latter. I have asked myself the question: "Are there times when laughter as an alternative to crying is an indefensible choice?" In such cases, the laughter may well come at too great of an expense. It belittles the seriousness of the underlying situation and makes light of the potentially disastrous consequences of the behavior of those responsible for governance. I have answered this question for myself by avoiding most late night and cable comedy shows altogether. Abstinence also seems to be a good policy when it comes to limiting one's exposure to cable news. The repetitiveness within the 24 hour news cycle makes for more hype than information.

As I collected my thoughts and made a few notes as I began this post, the language of the theater clearly dominated as I considered my choice of descriptive words with which I could speak of the contemporary political scene. In addition to scene, there was actor, stage, drama, tragedy, comedy, fantasy, science fiction, minstrel show, make-up, costume, and suspension of disbelief. It is as if the script has been torn up and the director fired. Are we watching several one-man shows all taking place on a single stage at the same time? 






No comments:

Post a Comment