Wednesday, April 18, 2012

After a couple of days of more seasonal temperatures and 2 or more inches of snow earlier this week, the abnormal normal of this spring has returned with overnight low temperatures above freezing and rain to melt the last remaining bits of snow from Sunday and Monday. It is not clear if the first growth of the mystery lilies, Asian lilies, irises, or hostas has been damaged by this short stretch of wintry weather. The bleeding heart gave me the most concern, but it too appears to have weathered the storm.

Even though it was raining at the time of my usual morning walk, I felt that was an inadequate reason to cancel. Monday morning's walk took place in bitter cold and a stiff wind. The conditions yesterday morning weren't much better, so I let myself be convinced to stay inside. This morning there was enough remorse left over from yesterday's decision to skip the walk to motivate me to head out in light rain. Conditions proved to be comfortable with temperatures in the mid-40's. In addition to the motivation to expiate yesterday's guilt, a rain jacket and waterproof footwear were also very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment