Saturday, April 7, 2012

The bears are out and about town.

A few days ago a bruin came through during the night and broke up the bird feeder which I was using for sunflower meats. The process of elimination leads me to conclusion that the culprit was a bear. Several days previously I had removed the suet feeder figuring that was more vulnerable to such a beast. This feeder was a homemade one that required some repair and modification a few years back, when it was raided by a bear. I am not sure if I will repair it or replace it this time around. I have now replaced the bird feeder with the birdbath. I am no longer serving lunch; I am providing a drinking and bathing establishment. Some years ago, I had to fashion a replacement base for the birdbath, after it was tipped and the original base damaged beyond repair. The process of elimination didn't help me identify the culprit on that occasion. It may have been a bear or a large dog or a neighbor taking a short cut through the yard in the dark.

This morning as I was finishing up by morning walk, I caught sight of a large black bear exiting some one's lawn and heading into the woods. It was on the edge of town and along a state highway. I was surprised to see a bear in this area at 7:30AM. Past experience has shown that bears will leave town as dawn breaks.

I would like to put out a thistle feeder for finches, but I am not sure how to mount it to eliminate the bear problem. Experience has shown that bear will tackle thistle feeders. The evidence on that occasion was bite marks and a smashed feeder. Hummingbird feeders are also a thing of the past. Garbage cans are kept in a storage shed. To date, there has been no evidence of an attempted breaking and entering.




No comments:

Post a Comment